Подскажите с упражнением. необходимо было указать неправильные варианты. Но честно говоря не совсем улавливаю разницу
1. It's very cold /It's very freezing.
2. It's really windy./It's incredibly windy.
3. It's really boiling today/ It's incredibly boiling today.
4. I was absolutely terrified/I was absolutely frightened.
Тема gradable and ungradable adjectives. С ними употребляются разные наречия.
Это надо читать. Напр very cold можно сказать, но не very freezing.причем с разными прилагательными- разные наречия. Наберите, почитайте.
1. It's very cold /It's very freezing.---Первое да, второе нет.
2. It's really windy./It's incredibly windy.---Первое нет, второе да.
3. It's really boiling today/ It's incredibly boiling today.---Первое нет, второе да.
4. I was absolutely terrified/I was absolutely frightened.---Первое да, второе нет.
Adjectives can be either gradable or non-gradable
Gradable adjectives are adjectives like ‘cold’ ‘hot’ and ‘frightened’. You can be very cold or a bit cold. Gradable adjectives show that something can have different degrees.(прилагательные имеют разнын степени.холодно,немножко холодно,очень холодно)
Non-gradable adjectives are adjectives like ‘married’ or ‘wooden’. You can’t be very married or a bit married. Non-gradable adjectives do not have different degrees.(нельзя быть немножко женатым,очень деревянным)
Adjectives like ‘terrifying’, ‘freezing’ ‘amazing’ are also non-gradable adjectives. They already contain the idea of ‘very’ in their definitions – ‘freezing’ means ‘very cold’ etc.
(эти прилагательные уже включают в себя степень "очень")
Using adverbs of degree
When we use adverbs of degree to modify adjectives we usually have to use different adverbs for gradable and non-gradable adjectives.
NOT I’m completely hot.
NOT It was very fantastic!
With gradable adjectives
It’s a bit cold in here. Shall I turn the fire on?
He’s very interested in history. Why don’t you buy him a history book?
This exercise is really difficult. I don’t know any of the answers.
I’m extremely tired. I’m going to bed.
The adverbs a bit, very, really, extremely and quite can all be used with gradable adjectives.
With non-gradable adjectives
It’s absolutely freezing in here. Shall I turn the fire on?
He’s completely fascinated by history. Why don’t you buy him a history book?
This exercise is absolutely impossible.
That film is really terrifying. Don’t go and see it on your own.
The adverbs absolutely and completely can be used with non-gradable adjectives.
Notice that really can be used with both gradable AND non-gradable adjectives.
NOTE: There are other adverbs of degree that we haven’t covered in this section. The ones included here are some of the most common.
Так really употребляется со всеми видами прилагательных, т.е. любое предложение с really +прилагательные будет правильным.Инфа от Британского совета.
1. It's very cold +/. It's very freezing.-
2. It's really windy.+/It's incredibly windy.-
3. It's really boiling today+/ It's incredibly boiling today.+
4. I was absolutely terrified+/I was absolutely frightened.-
Sorry, incredibly windy +
Thanks again, exhaustive information!