1.Образуйте множественное число существительных с помощью суффикса, обращая внимание на орфографические изменения.
A room, a shelf, a wife, a glass, a suit, a toy, a lady, an arm, a book, a child, a foot, a goose, an egg, a bus, a pig
2.Замените существительное с предлогом of существительными в притяжательном падеже.
A brush of Mrs. Bell, the dinner of the woman, the radio of a man, the flowers of the girl, the milk of the children, the dog of the boy
3.Образуйте степени сравнения от следующих прилагательных и наречий.
Naughty, big, wide, hot, exiting, laborious, well, badly, little.
4.Заполните пропуски глаголом to be, употребляя соответствующую форму в Present Indefinite
1. Mr. Bell … an artist. 2. John and I …his sons. 3. My sister … a schoolgirl. 4. I … a student of a college. 5. They … friends. 6. You … a good boy.
5.Заполните пропуски глаголом to have, употребляя соответствующую форму в Present Indefinite
1. Mrs. Bell …two sons and a daughter. 2. Jane …her own room. 3. We … also our car. 4. My mother … a good job. 5. You … also a big family.
6.Употребите оборот there is/there are в следующих предложениях. Переведите.
1. … a cat on the table. 2. … a basket on the table. 3. … oranges in the cupboard. 4. … a telephone on the table. 5. … a bottle under the table. 6. … a glass in the cupboard.
7.Замените выделенные слова личными местоимениями.
1. Mary helps her mother every day. 2. Frank listens to the radio usually. 3. Frank and Mary like to watch a football match. 4. The cat tried to catch a mouse. 5. The men give the children a ball.
8.Употребите соответствующие притяжательные местоимения вместо личных местоимений, данных в скобках.
1. ( I ) … umbrella is red, yours is blue. 2. ( she ) … face is white and round. 3. (they) …match began at three o’clock. 4. (you) … speech was exiting. 5. (he) … song lasts 5 minutes.
9.Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в Present Indefinite
1. She (walk) to school with her friends. 2. He (count) the books. 3. I (clean) the windows. 4. The children (clap) their hands. 5. The little girls (cry) sometimes.
10.Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в Past или Future Indefinite по смыслу.
1.She (cook) a meal tomorrow. 2. We (play) football yesterday. 3. She (look) at the child at that moment. 4. He (wash) his car next morning. 5. We (see) an aeroplane yesterday.
10. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) They stayed in Moscow all summer. 2) She planned her work well. 3) The crowd waited a long time to see the famous actor. 4) He worked in that Institute for many years. 5) We arrived home late. 6) He entered this class in April. 7) Ann passed all her examinations. 8) The meeting lasted a long time
11. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Future Simple:
1) Helen (find) the book which you need.
2) They (see) us tomorrow.
3) He (finish) the work in April.
4) The shops (close) at noon today.
5) We (arrive) at three o’clock.
6) She (tell) you all about it.
7) You (spend) two months in the South.
8) The plant (die) because of lack of sunshine.
12. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) They will return in October. 2) These exercises will be easy for you. 3) He will be able to meet us later. 4) Our drama society will present a new play this year. 5) The lesson will be over at twelve o’clock. 6) There will be three new students in the class. 7) She will leave a message on the table for him. 8) They will write to us on Wednesday.
13. Употребите модальные глаголы can, may, must, could, should, can't, mustn't, needn't и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. … I take this book for a little?
2. I….. ski when I was young.
3. You … work more seriously.
4. He … answer the question. It’s not difficult.
5. You .... respect your parents.
6. My sister …. write this letter, she is very busy.
7. My sister …. write this letter. She’ll phone them.
8. You …. make notes in the books.
14. Письменно переведите текст. Выполните задание после текста.
BRIDGE OR TUNNEL?
(1) The vast water areas all over the world are natural obstacles for people’s communication. In this case one can mention the English Channel separating Great Britain and Europe, the Strait of Gibraltar between Europe and Africa, the Bosporus between Europe and Asia, the Bering Strait separating the Eurasian and American continents.
(2) Builders always have the choice between bridging and tunneling in crossing over or under a large waterway. Each sort of a structure offers its advantages and shortcomings. One should bear in mind the influence of strong sea currents, great water depth, large capacity vessels with great boundary dimensions, complicated geological seabed structures. A seabed silt is a rather soft foundation for support footing. In addition to it these regions are seismically dangerous, and constructional works must provide sufficient strength against seismic waves.
(3) The advantages of a bridge may be the following:
- low cost of construction in comparison with a tunnel structure though sometimes
it may be quite the opposite;
- bridges require low maintenance cost because tunnels call expenses for ventilation,
(4) The main advantage of the tunnel structure is that free shipping is possible under intensive navigation. Being deep beneath the water surface, tunnels do not interfere with navigation. Moreover, weather conditions cannot influence the traffic.
(5) The final decision for choosing a bridge or a tunnel depends on many factors and not only technical ones. In some cases bridges are much more preferable.
(6) In 1974 the bridge across the Bosporus was erected. In 1985 the bridge connected some Japanese islands. The strait separating Denmark and Europe was also spanned by a bridge.
(7) However, as for the connection between Great Britain and the Continent, the choice fell on a tunnel underneath the English Channel. In 1994 the railway tunnel from Great Britain to France was put into operation. It provides a high-speed rail link with shuttle trains reducing the travel time between the two countries to three-and-a-half hours. Needless to say that the cost of this tunnel is enormous.
1. Go back to the text and using the paragraph reference find words which are opposite to:
very small, artificial, to connect (paragraph 1);
never, over, under, an advantage, to forget, weak, small, height, simple, hard, safe,
weakness, for (paragraph 2);
high (paragraph 3);
busy, to help (paragraph 4);
initial, few (paragraph 5);
to separate (paragraph 6);
to rise, aboveground, to increase (paragraph 7).
2 Translate the words given in brackets into English. Translate the sentences into Russian.
(Что касается) the choice between (строительство моста) and (прокладка тоннеля), one should bear in mind (преимущества) and (недостатки) of these types of (искусственные сооружения). As a rule, the cost of bridge construction is lower, and bridges require lower (затраты на содержание). On the other hand, tunneling has a number of (преимущества). Tunnels do not interfere with navigation because they are (глубоко под водой). Besides that, weather conditions (не влияют на) the traffic. Of course, (окончательное решение) depends on many factors. Thus, for example, to connect Great Britain with the Continent not a bridge, but a (железнодорожный тоннель) was constructed. This rail link (с челночным движением поездов) was put into (эксплуатация) in 1994.