(А) Перепишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на
способы перевода герундия.
1. Using long-welded rails allows reducing wear and tear on rolling stock.
2. The function of railway signals is keeping the trains at some distance from
3. Around $1.2 billion will be spent on modernizing the 270 km suburban
network of Sao Paolo, Brazil.
4. This includes refurbishing rolling stock, renewing signaling equipment,
constructing new railway stations and laying down new tracks.
5. In the early 19th century, the idea of using steam engines for drawing freight
and passenger trains interested many inventors.
(Б) Перепишите предложения. В каждом предложении заполните пробел герундием,
образованным на основе одного из глаголов, данных в рамке.
• examine • collide • lay • clear • reduce • enter • transport
1. An autorack is a special-purpose freight car used for ___ unladen automobiles.
2. A long tunnel was bored through the mountain but ___ down rail tracks in
this tunnel wasn't planned.
3. Engineers are trying to find the ways of ___ the cost of electrifying railways.
4. Rail inspection is the practice of ___ rail tracks for flaws that could lead to
5. On ___ the compartment, a man introduced himself to his fellow travelers.
6. Automatic train signaling is used to prevent trains from ___.
7. Special snow-cleaning machines are developed for ___ the tracks of snow
Б 1 transporting, 2 laying 3 reducing, 4 examining 5 entering 6colliding, 7 clearing