Употребление for the weekend/over the weekend

• Всем привет!

В учебнике Бонка столкнулась с двумя конструкциями и не могу понять, отличаются ли они чем-то?

a weekend - конец недели, время отдыха с сб до пн.

1. for the weekend

Даётся пример: we are going to Leningrad for the weekend (мы поедем в Ленинград на сб и вс)

2. over the weekend

Пример: he is going to stay here over the weekend (он останется здесь на сб и вс)

Есть ли отличия, или эти конструкции полностью взаимозаменяемы?

Может, for the weekend переводится как “для того, чтобы отдохнуть”, а over the weekend "на сб и вс"? ????

Спасибо!

• Предлогов гораздо больше. Что касается ваших примеров, смотрите с какими глаголами и в каких ситуациях они употребляются. Over значит during, stay over, call over, то есть , когда ты уже там... Но не go for --- тебя там еще нет.
    1. 'weekend'
    A weekend consists of a Saturday and the Sunday that comes after it. Sometimes Friday evening is also considered to be part of the weekend. The weekend is the time when most people in Europe, North America, and Australia do not go to work or school.

I spent the weekend at home.
    Did you have a good weekend?
    2. regular events
    British English speakers say that something takes place at weekends.

The beach gets very crowded at weekends.
    American speakers usually say that something takes place weekends or on weekends.

He often studies evenings and weekends.
    On weekends I usually sleep late.
    3. single events
    You can say that an event takes place during a particular weekend.

Will you be visiting relatives during the holiday weekend?
    On a weekday, the weekend or this weekend can refer either to the previous weekend or the following weekend. You can use at, during, or over in front of the weekend. Don't use any preposition in front of this weekend.

Her new film came out at the weekend.
    I'll call you over the weekend.
    My birthday was this weekend.
    We might be able to go skiing this weekend.
    Collins COBUILD English Usage © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 2004, 2011,

• Помимо всего прочего есть британское употребление и американское. Для таких случаев есть словари , которые называются сочетаемости, collocations, можно посмотреть там.