Vocabulary Notes, Аракин 2 курс

• Мне не нужно помогать с заданиями. Мне нужна ваша помощь в переводе словаря, чтобы я мог его выучить. Видите ли, я не студент ин. яза, просто я изучаю английский с репетитором. Она препод в универе и учит меня по курсу Аракина и Бонка. Но у меня проблема с Аракиным. Там словарь к каждому юниту без перевода, в результате я играю в угадайку. Конечно можно было бы переводить прямо с репетитором, но 1000 рублей за час уйдёт только на то, чтобы я тупо переписал этот словарь, а потом уже выучил. Изучаю английский 1 год, освоил первую часть Бонка. С Аракиным начал работать только со 2-ой частью. Просьба, не надо говорить, что Аракин устарел и т.п. . Дайте, пожалуйста перевод словаря, хотя бы ко второму юниту. И в ключах перевода словаря нет.И да, ещё и образцы речи:
    Сам словарь:

• VOCABULARY NOTES
    1. to shiver υi дрожать, as shiver with cold
    Syn. to tremble, to shudder, to start; to tremble is the most general word; shuddering/starting is
    generally the result of (great) fear or disgust, е.g. He seemed perfectly calm, only a slight trembling of his
    voice and hands showed he was excited. Keith shuddered at the sight of the dead body. The child was
    shivering with cold. She started when they came in.
    2. ache n (a continuous, not sharp or sudden, pain). Usually used in compounds: headache, toothache,
    stomachache, earache, backache, е.g. I had a bad headache yesterday. Some people have (a) bad earache
    when the plane is losing height. But: to have a sore throat, eye, finger, etc., е.g. I can't speak loude?, I
    have a sore throat.

• Syn. pain n to feel (have) a bad (sharp, slight) pain in ..., е.g. I feel a sharp pain in my right knee. My leg
    gives me much pain.; painful adj болезненный, тяжелый
    Ant. painless, е.g. It was a painful (painless) operation.
    to ache υ i/t болеть (чувствовать боль) — to be in continuous pain, e, g. My ear aches. After climbing
    the mountain he ached all over.
    Cf.: hurt υt/i причинять боль, е.g. It hurts the eyes to look at the sun. My foot hurts (me) when I walk.
    3. medicine n 1. лекарство, е.g. What medicine (s) do you take for your headaches? 2. медицина, e.g.
    He is fond of medicine, he wants to become a surgeon.
    medical adj, е.g. He studies at a Medical Institute. He is a medical student. My medical knowledge
    leaves much to be desired. You'd better consult your surgeon.
    4. condition n 1. состояние; to be in (a) good (bad) condition, е.g. After the thunderstorm our garden
    was in a terrible condition, quite a number of trees were broken. Every parcel arrived in good condition
    (nothing was broken or spoiled).; to be in no condition to do smth., е.g. He is in no condition to travel.
    The ship was in no condition to leave harbour, He can sing very well, but tonight he is in no condition to do
    it, he has a sore throat.
    2. условие; under good (bad) condition(s), е.g. The unemployed live under very hard conditions.; on
    condition that = if, е.g. I will do it on condition that you give me the time I need.; conditional adj, е.g.
    Conditional sentences contain "if or its synonyms.
    5. foot n (pl feet) 1. нога (ниже щиколотки, ступня), е.g. The boy jumped to his feet. A dog's feet are
    called paws.; 2. фут (около) 30,5 см, pl часто без изменений, е.g. The boy was too tall for his age and he
    was three foot two in his shoes.; 3. подножие, нижняя часть, основание, as the foot of the mountain, at
    the foot of the page, the foot of the bed, е.g. This boy is at the foot of his class.
    Ant. top, head, as the top of the mountain, the top (head) of the page, at the head of the bed, etc. е.g.
    This boy is at the head of his class.
    on foot (= walking, not riding), е.g. When people are having their walking holiday they cover long
    distances on foot. (Cf.: by train, by bus, etc.)
    footnote n сноска
    6. prescribe υi прописывать лекарство, е.g. Doctor, will you prescribe a tonic for me? What can you
    prescribe for my headache (cold, etc.) ?
    prescription n рецепт; to make up a prescription for smb., е.g. Please call in at the chemist's and have
    this prescription made up for me; to write out a prescription.
    7. bare adj 1. обнаженный, голый, непокрытый (usu. about some part of our body), е.g. His head was
    bare.
    Syn. naked (= having no clothes on), е.g.Victorine was shocked when she learned that she would have
    to sit for the painter quite naked.
    barefoot adj predic, adv = with bare feet, without shoes and stockings, е.g. Children like to go (run,
    walk) barefoot.
    barefooted adj, attr. Barefooted people were standing on the bank.
    bare-legged (-armed) adj = with bare legs (arms), е.g. When we speak of bare-legged children we mean
    children wearing shoes, but no stockings; bare-footed children wear neither shoes nor stockings.
    bare-beaded, adj = without a hat, е.g. It's already too cold to go bare-headed.
    2. пустой, голый, лишенный чего-л., as a bare room (with little or no furniture), bare walls (without
    pictures or wallpaper), bare trees (without leaves), bare facts (only facts; nothing but facts).
    Cf.: a bare room (no furniture), an empty room (no people), a vacant room (a room in which either no
    one is living at present or no one is working; a room which can be occupied), е.g. After the piano was taken
    out, the room seemed quite bare. I thought I heard voices in the next room, but it was empty. "Won't you
    look for a vacant room in which we could have a consultation?" — "I'm told that all the rooms are
    occupied."
    8. refuse υt/i отказывать(ся), е.g. She refused my offer. She can't refuse her children anything. He
    refused to do what I asked him.
    N о t e: In the meaning of sacrificing smth., parting with smth., the English verb to give up is used, е.g. He gave up the idea
    of going there. Roger promised to give up smoking, but he didn't keep his promise.
    refusal n, е.g. He answered her invitation, with a cold refusal,
    9. like adj похожий, подобный, е.g. They are as like as two peas. What is he like? (= What sort of
    person is he?) What does he look like? ( = What kind of appearance has he got?) How does she look today?
    (= What is her appearrance today?) It looks like gold. (= It has the appearance of gold.) It looks like rain. Itwas just like him to take the biggest piece of cake. There is nothing like home.
    like prep or adv подобно, как, е.g. I can't do it like you. They are behaving like little children, I've never
    heard him sing like that.
    Note: to act like means to do smth. in the same way or in the manner of other people, е.g. She can play like a real pianist.; to
    act as means acting in the capacity of smb., e g. Some of our students act as guides during summer.
    alike adj predic одинаковый, похожий, подобный, е.g. The houses in this street are alike. (Cf.: The
    houses in this street are like those in the next street.)
    likeness n сходство, е.g. I cannot see much likeness between the twins.
    unlike adj непохожий, е.g. She was unlike all other girls.
    unlike prep в отличие от, е.g. Unlike other girls she was not at all talkative.
    NOTES ON STYLE
    A. The terms style, stylistic are generally used in two different meanings. In lexicology the term
    functional style is used which may be defined as a system of expressive means peculiar to a specific sphere
    of communication. Otherwise speaking, the choice of words and of modes of expression depends on the
    situation in which the process of communication is realized, whether it is a friendly talk, an official letter or
    report, a poem, a scientific article, etc. According to the situation (or the sphere of communication) we may
    distinguish formal (bookish, learned) and informal (colloquial) words. The former are peculiar to fiction,
    scientific prose, lectures, official talks; the latter are used in everyday talks with friends and relatives. One
    should also keep ip mind that there are a great number of words that are independent of the sphere of
    communication, i. e. that can be used in a lecture, in an informal talk, in a poem, etc. Such words are
    stylistically neutral (е.g. bread, word, book, go, takes, white, etc.).
    Students should be warned against taking the term colloquial as a kind of encouragement to use words
    thus marked as much as possible. The term implies that the words called colloquial are limited by their
    sphere of usage and, if used in a wrong situation (е.g. in a student's composition, in a conversation with an
    official acquaintance or with one higher in authority), may produce the impression of impoliteness or even
    rudeness.
    E. g. He is a jolly chap. = Он парень что надо, (chap n, coll.; jolly adj, coll.) The stylistically neutral
    way of putting it is: He is a good (fine) man.
    How are the kids? = Как ваши ребята? (kid n, coll.) The stylistically neutral way How are your
    children?
    I'm all right. = Co мной все нормально. (all right coll.) The stylistically neutral way I feel (am) quite
    well.
    Compare:
    Neutral Colloquial Bookish
    begin start commence
    continue go on proceed
    end, finish be over (through) terminate
    buy get purchase
    Note also that such abbreviations as I'm, I've, I'll, you'd, you're, etc. are characteristic of colloquial style. Therefore, students
    will be well advised to avoid them in their compositions, essays, precis, etc.
    B. The term style may be also used with reference to the manner of writing of some particular author. E.
    g. Hemingway's style is characterized by laconism and lack of detail. The syntax of his sentences is very
    simple, the dialogues are almost monosyllabic and seemingly unemotional. Yet, through the austere form
    the author manages sometimes to create a narration of great tension.

• SPEECH PATTERNS
    la. It would have been natural if the boy had gone to sleep.
    It would have been natural if you had punished the child for his behaviour yesterday.
    It wouldn't have been so cold in the morning if the wind had stopped blowing.
    It would have been strange if he hadn't called on me when he was here last summer.
    It would have been quite dark in the forest if we hadn't made a good fire.
    1b. The father wouldn't have called the doctor if the boy had been quite well.
    Grant would have accepted Mario's invitation if he hadn't made up his plans for the summer.
    Anne would have taken her spring exams if she hadn't fallen ill.
    We shouldn't have made friends with them if we hadn't stayed in the same camp.
    We should have finished our work yesterday if you had helped us.
    1c. The boy would have behaved in a different way if he were selfish.
    They wouldn't have quarrelled if they both were less nervous.
    You would have improved your spelling long ago if you were more diligent.
    We should have invited him to our party if we knew him better.
    She wouldn't have forgiven him if she didn't love him so much.
    2. He seemed to know all about influenza.
    The children seem to like each other very much. You don't seem to understand me.
    She seemed to know grammar much better than we thought.
    They did't seem to have met before.

Кому не лень, просьба помочь. И да, на первый юнит мне не надо. То я уже выучил с помощью препода. Плохо то, что нет в Аракине перевода фраз, словосочетаний и выражений. А их объёяснение совсем не точное, например как в первом юните объясняли разницу между suitable и convenient, что convenient это suitable, handy, serving to avoid trouble or difficulty. Это ж пипец как точно. (сарказм). А разница то в том, что suitable это удобный в значение уже общепринятый, удобный для большинства, когда как convenient используется в частных случаях, индивидуально для отдельного человека или ситуации.

• SPEECH PATTERNS
    la. It would have been natural if the boy had gone to sleep.Было бы естественно, если бы мальчик лег спать(вчера)
    It would have been natural if you had punished the child for his behaviour yesterday.Было бы естественно, если бы вы наказали ребенка за его поведение вчера.
    It wouldn't have been so cold in the morning if the wind had stopped blowing.Не было бы так холодно утром,если бы ветер перестал дуть.
    It would have been strange if he hadn't called on me when he was here last summerБыло бы странно,если бы он не зашеп ко мне, когда он был здесь прошлым летом..
    It would have been quite dark in the forest if we hadn't made a good fire.Было бы темно в лесу,если б мы не развели хороший костер.
    1b. The father wouldn't have called the doctor if the boy had been quite well.Отец не позвал бы врача,если б мальчик был здоров.
    Grant would have accepted Mario's invitation if he hadn't made up his plans for the summer.Грант принял бы приглашение Марио,если бы не придумал планов на лето.
    Anne would have taken her spring exams if she hadn't fallen ill.Анна сдавала бы весенние экзамены, если бы не заболела.
    We shouldn't ?have made friends with them if we hadn't stayed in the same camp.Мы не подружились бы с ними,если бы не остановились в одном кемпинге/лагере.
    We should ?have finished our work yesterday if you had helped us.?
    1c. The boy would have behaved in a different way if he were selfish.мальчик вел бы себя по-другому, если бы был эгоистом.
    They wouldn't have quarrelled if they both were less nervous.они бы не поссорились,если бы оба меньше нервничали(были менее нервными-дословно)
    You would have improved your spelling long ago if you were more diligent.
    We should have invited him to our party if we knew him better.мы бы пригласили его на вечеринку,если б знали его ближе.
    She wouldn't have forgiven him if she didn't love him so much.она не простила бы его,если б не любила так сильно.
    2. He seemed to know all about influenza.Казалось,он знает все о гриппе.
    The children seem to like each other very much. д ети, Уажется любят друг друга очень.Y ou don't seem to understand me.ты,кажется, не понимаешь меня.
    She seemed to know grammar much better than we thought.казалось,она знает грамматику лучше,чем мы думали.
    They did't seem to have met before.они, кажется, раньше не встречались.

• Спасибо Вера!
    Надеюсь словарь кто-нибудь переведет.

• Там же есть перевод. Я не очень поняла откуда и что надо переводить, потому что перевод слов дан. И где какая часть?

• Фраз и выражений. Спасибо!
    Ну, например: They are as like as two peas. What is he like? (= What sort of
    person is he?) What does he look like? ( = What kind of appearance has he got?) How does she look today?
    Итак всех остальных.

• Ant. painless, е.g. It was a painful (painless) operation.Это была безболезненная операция
    to ache υ i/t болеть (чувствовать боль) — to be in continuous pain, e, g. My ear aches. After climbing
    the mountain he ached all over.ухо болит. После скалолазания у него все болело.
    Cf.: hurt υt/i причинять боль, е.g. It hurts the eyes to look at the sun. My foot hurts (me) when I walk.глазам больно смотреть на солнце. Ноги болят, когда я хожу.
    3. medicine n 1. лекарство, е.g. What medicine (s) do you take for your headaches? какое лекарство ты принимаешь от головной боли?2. медицина, e.g.
    He is fond of medicine, he wants to become a surgeon.он любит медицину,хочет стать хирургом.
    medical adj, е.g. He studies at a Medical Institute. He is a medical student. My medical knowledgeон учится в мединституте.он -студент -медик.
    leaves much to be desired. You'd better consult your surgeon.мое знание медицины оставляет желать лучшего. Ты лучше проконсультируйся у хирурга.
    4. condition n 1. состояние; to be in (a) good (bad) condition, е.g. After the thunderstorm our gardenпосле грозы наш сад
    was in a terrible condition, quite a number of trees were broken. Every parcel arrived in good conditionбыл в ужасном состоянии.,несколько деревьев было сломано.каждая посылка прибыла а хорошем состоянии.
    (nothing was broken or spoiled).; to be in no condition to do smth., е.g. He is in no condition to travel.ничего не сломано и не испорчено).он не в состоянии путешествовать.
    The ship was in no condition to leave harbour,корабль был не в состоянии покинуть гавань He can sing very well, but tonight he is in no condition to do
    it, he has a sore throat.он умеет петь очень хорошо,но сегодня вечером он не в состоянии делать это,горло болит.
    2. условие; under good (bad) condition(s), е.g. The unemployed live under very hard conditions.; onбезработные живут в тяжелых условиях.
    condition that = if, е.g. I will do it on condition that you give me the time I need.; conditional adj, е.g.я сделаю это при условии,что ты дашь мне необходимое время.
    Conditional sentences contain "if or its synonyms.условные предложения содержат "если" или его синонимы.
    5. foot n (pl feet) 1. нога (ниже щиколотки, ступня), е.g. The boy jumped to his feet. мальчик прыгнул на ноги.A dog's feet are
    called paws.; ноги собаки называются лапы.2. фут (около) 30,5 см, pl часто без изменений, е.g. The boy was too tall for his age and he
    was three foot two in his shoes.; мальчик слишком высок для своего возраста и и он 3.2 фута в ботинках.3. подножие, нижняя часть, основание, as the foot of the mountain, atподножие горы,
    the foot of the page, низ страницы the foot of the bed, еподножие кровати .g. This boy is at the foot of his class.мальчик хуже всех в классе.
    Ant. top, head, as the top of the mountain, на вершине горыthe top (head) of the page, atверху страницв the head of the bed, etc. е.g.у изголоаья кровати.
    This boy is at the head of his class.мальчик во главе в первых рядах
    on foot (= walking, not riding), пешком е.g. When people are having their walking holiday they cover long
    distances on foot. (Cf.: by train, by bus, etc.)когда люди гуляют,они покрывают большие расстояния пешком.
    footnote n сноска

• footnote n сноска
    6. prescribe υi прописывать лекарство, е.g. Doctor, will you prescribe a tonic for me? What can youЧто вы можете
    prescribe for my headache (cold, etc.) ?прописать от головной боли?
    prescription n рецепт; to make up a prescription for smb., е.g. Please call in at the chemist's and haveпожалуйста, зайдите в аптеку и закажите лекарство для меня.
    this prescription made up for me; to write out a prescription.выписать рецепт.
    7. bare adj 1. обнаженный, голый, непокрытый (usu. about some part of our body), е.g. His head was
    bareон был без головного убора.
    Syn. naked (= having no clothes on), е.g.Victorine was shocked when she learned that she would haveВикторина была в шоке,когда узнала, что будет позировать для художника ню.обнаженной.
    to sit for the painter quite naked.
    barefoot adj predic, adv = with bare feet, without shoes and stockings,босиком,разутый е.g. Children like to go (run,дети любят ходить,бегать
    walk) barefoot.гулять босиком.
    barefooted adj, attr. Barefooted people were standing on the bank.босые люди стояли на берегу.
    bare-legged (-armed) adj = with bare legs (arms), е.g. When we speak of bare-legged children we meanкогда мы говорим о голоногих детях, мы имеем в виду, что они в туфлях,но без чулок, босоногие дети не носят ни туфель, ни чулок.
    children wearing shoes, but no stockings; bare-footed children wear neither shoes nor stockings.
    bare-beaded, adj = without a hat, е.g. It's already too cold to go bare-headed.раскрытые.
    2. пустой, голый, лишенный чего-л., as a bare room (with little or no furniture), bare walls (withoutпустая комната,голые стены, голые деревья,голые факты,ничего,кроме фактов
    pictures or wallpaper), bare trees (without leaves), bare facts (only facts; nothing but facts).
    Cf.: a bare room (no furniture), an empty room (no people), a vacant room (a room in which either noголая комната без мебели,пустая комната без людей свободная комната в которой либо
    one is living at present or no one is working; a room which can be occupied), е.g. After the piano was takenкто‐то живет сейчас,либо никто не работает,коната, которую можно занять.
    out, the room seemed quite bare. комната кажется совсем пустой.I thought I heard voices in the next room, but it was empty. я думал, я слышал голоса в соседней комнате,но она была пустой "Won't you
    look for a vacant room in which we could have a consultation?" — "I'm told that all the rooms are
    occupied."вы не поищете свободную комнату для консультации?мне говорят, все комнаты заняты.