Помогите с правильной формой,пожалуйста)

• Deeper and deeper 25(grow) the bottom of the river and the rats which 26(go) after the pipe 27(finde) their death in the water. The young man 28(stope) 29(play) only when there 30(be) no more rats alive: they all 31(go) down to the bottom of the river.
    The joyful news soon 32(reach) the town. When the tired piper appeared in the town people 33(dance) and 34(sing) in the streets now that the danger 35(be) over. The young man expected the Mayor 36(keep) his promise but the latter said: "You 37(not do) any work at all. My citizens never 38(forgive) me if i 39(pay) so much og their money just for music."
    The piper 40(reply) nothing to that, but 41(take) out his pipe og the pocket and 42(blow) it agai. At once all the little children 43(start) 44(walk) after the piper out of the town and they never 45(return).

• Даша, где вы взяли эту историю? Она содрана из тома №4 под названием "NEW ACTIVE ENGLISH" by D.H.HOWE. Рассказ дан на странице 69 и называется"THE PIPER".

Deeper and deeper 25(grew) the bottom of the river and the rats which 26(had gone) after the pipe 27(found) their death in the water. The young man 28(stopped) 29(playing) only when there 30(were) no more rats alive: they all 31(had gone) down to the bottom of the river.
    The joyful news soon 32(reached) the town. When the tired piper appeared in the town people 33(danced) and 34(sang) in the streets now that the danger 35(was) over. The young man expected the Mayor 36(to keep) his promise but the latter said: "You 37(have not done) any work at all. My citizens never 38(forgive) me if i 39(pay) so much of their money just for music."
    The piper 40(replied) nothing to that, but 41(took) out his pipe from the pocket and 42(blew) it again. At once all the little children 43(started) 44(to walk) after the piper out of the town and they never 45(returned).

• Но это еще не все. Упомянутую выше книгу я лично купил в Пакистане, когда был там на работе много лет тому назад. Это пакистанское издание, и попасть в продажу к нам оно никак не могло.

• Даша, Виталий:
    My citizens 38(will never forgive) me if i 39(pay) so much of their money just for music."
    ..........................................................................................
    Vitaly, no disrespect was meant, I understand that was just an unfortunate oversight

• OR
    My citizens 38(would never forgive) me if i 39(paid) so much of their money just for music

• Да, правильно. Видимо, я просто пропустил это будущее время в главном предложении. Поправка принимается.

• Спасибо за помощь)Вот такие вот задания нам дают)

• Это задание нормальное, да и текст интересный. Мой вопрос был в другом: откуда авторы взяли этот текст у нас,. если у меня лично он имеется несколько в упрощенном виде в пакистанском издании? А до этого данное пособие издавалось в Гонконге.