Vocabulary Notes, Аракин 2 курс

• 8. refuse υt/i отказывать(ся), е.g. She refused my offer. She can't refuse her children anything. HeОна отказалась от моего предложения.она не может о тказать детям ни в чем.он отказался делать то,что я просил.
    refused to do what I asked him.
    N о t e: In the meaning of sacrificing smth., parting with smth., the English verb to give up is used, е.g. He gave up the ideaон отказался от идеи (оставил идею) пойти туда.
    of going there. Roger promised to give up smoking, but he didn't keep his promise.
    refusal n, е.g. He answered her invitation, with a cold refusal, Роджео обещал перестать/бросить курить,но не сдержал обещания.
    9. like adj похожий, подобный, е.g. They are as like as two peas. они похожи как две капли воды.What is he like? (= What sort of
    person is he?) Wакой он ( по характеру)hat does he look like? ( = What kind of appearance has he got?) какой он (о внешности)How does she look today?как она выглядит сегодня?
    (= What is her appearrance today?) It looks like gold. (= It has the appearance of gold.) Похоже на золото.It looks like rain. Itwas just like him to take the biggest piece of cake. There is nothing like home.кажется, дождь собирается.это на него так похоже-взять большой кусок торта.нет ничего лучше родного дома.
    like prep or adv подобно, как, е.g. I can't do it like you. They are behaving like little children, I've neverони ведут себя как дети. Я никогда не слышал,чтоб он так пел.
    heard him sing like that.
    Note: to act like means to do smth. in the same way or in the manner of other people, е.g. She can play like a real pianist.; toона играет как настоящий пианист.
    act as means acting in the capacity of smb., e g. Some of our students act as guides during summer.некоторые наши студенты работали гидами летом.(в качестве)
    alike adj predic одинаковый, похожий, подобный, е.g. The houses in this street are alike. (Cf.: TheДома на этой улице одинаковы.дома на этой улице такие же, как на той.
    houses in this street are like those in the next street.)
    likeness n сходство, е.g. I cannot see much likeness between the twins.не вижу много сходства между близнецами.
    unlike adj непохожий, е.g. She was unlike all other girls.она была не такой как другие девочки.
    unlike prep в отличие от, е.g. Unlike other girls she was not at all talkative.в отличие от других девчонок,она была вовсе не разговорчива.

• Спасибо Вера!