during with perfect

• During these seven years he (to study) in Cape Town where his people (to sent) him. Lanny was glad at the thought that he (to do) what they hoped he (to do) and that soon (to be) among his people again.

Правильный ответ: had been studying, had sent, would do, would be.
    Вопросы: Почему здесь используется PastPerfect+during these, а не those раз уже здесь говорится о прошлом? И можно ли употреблять during+PresentPerfect, приведите примеры пожалуйста.

• Вы вырвали эти два предложения из микроситуации, которая приводится у Голицинского. Дайте ВСЮ микроситуацию. Возможно, тогда станет БОЛЕЕ ПОНЯТНО, почему в ней выбраны такие времена.

Скрыть комментарии
  • Если бы не Вы, так и не узнал что это из учебника Голоцинского

• Lanny returned home after seven years of absence. During these seven years he had been studying in Cape Town where his people had sent him. Lanny was glad at the thought that he had done what they hoped he would do and that soon would be among his people again.
    Я извиняюсь, действительно, там было ещё одно предложение, выделенное здесь черным.

• During
    from English Grammar Today
    We use during before nouns and noun phrases to refer to when something happens over a period of time. During can refer to the whole time of the event:

You are not allowed to use your mobile phone during class. (the whole of the class)

I have to have my window open during the night. (the whole of the night)

In this meaning, during can often mean the same as in:

His grandfather fought in the army during the First World War. (or … in the First World War.)

When I was a kid, our cousins often came to stay with us during the summer. (or … in the summer.)

During can refer to something that happened while the main event was taking place. In such contexts, during means ‘at some unspecified point in time’ and is more common than in:

What was that noise I heard during the night, I wonder? or … in the night. (I heard a noise at an unspecified point in the night.)

One day, during the Second World War, her father just disappeared. (He disappeared at an unspecified point.)

Warning:
    We don’t use during when we refer to numbers and lengths of time. In this case, we use for:

They lived in Edinburgh for four years.

Not: They lived in Edinburgh during four years.

However, we can use during with the first or the last + length of time or time expression:

During the first three years of the war, 50,000 civilians were killed. (during refers to when this happened.)

I haven’t done any exercise during the last week. (during refers to when I didn’t do exercise.)

Typical error

We use during before nouns and noun phrases but not before verbs:

While I was waiting for the bus, I phoned some friends.

Not: During I was

• During or for?
    from English Grammar Today
    We use during to say when something happens, if it happens in or over a period of time. We use for to talk about the length of time something lasts.

Compare
    They went to Florida during the winter.---
    They went at one point in the winter.
    They went to Florida for the winter.---
    They went from the beginning to the end of the winter.
    She phoned me during the week to tell me that she was getting married. (referring to a point in the week)

We were in the cinema for three and a half hours.

Not: … during three and a half hours.

Our flight to New York was delayed for seven hours.

Not: … during seven hours.

We went to Italy for a week.

Not: … during a week.

We can also use for to refer to public holidays and seasons:

He always goes to his mother’s house for New Year.

Not: … during New Year.

• Короче, предлоги предлогами, времена временами, они не зависят друг от друга. Времена зависят от контекста. Виталий прав, вы выдернули фразу, а там явно был предыдущий контекст, ставящий все на свои места. Понятно ли теперь, что фразы с during отвечают на вопрос КОГДА? а не как долго.

Скрыть комментарии
  • Фразы с during отвечают на вопрос когда, следовательно Паст Симпл-Понятно.