The Article

• Здравствуйте,
    По правилу артикль может отсутствовать перед существительным в ед.числе, когда существительное обозначает должность или звание, которые являются единственными в данной обстановке. Например: My brother is captain of the S.S. "Minsk".
    Скажите пожалуйта, применимо ли это правило когда глагол сказуемое стоит в прошедшем времени?
    В учебнике Голицынского, издание седьмое в упражнении в разделе Артикль есть предложение Games Gordon Brown was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Labour Party.

• If predicative and appositive nouns denote the position (rank, state, post or occupation) which is unique, i.e. can be occupied by one person at a time, either no article or the definite article is used. These nouns are often used after the verbs to appoint, to choose, to elect, to become and some others:

Mr. Henderson is manager, not under-manager any longer.

His ideal was professor Edward Edwards, head of the Department of Chemistry.

Такое правило было. Сейчас артикль опускают.

• ПродолжениеJ ohn Smith and the director of my department Adam Gray went to a meeting yesterday.
    We need to use the definite article here. The reason is that the director of my department is a description, not an official title. However if you wanted to use a title you could:

John Smith and Director of Marketing, Adam Gray, both attended the meeting.

Вот такая разница.Когда это титул--без артикля, когда описание --с артиклем.
    Так что дело не во времени. Все чуть сложнее.