I was wondering

• Пытаюсь разобраться с этим выражением. После него возможно употребление только прошедшее время?

I was wondering if you have ever flown a plane before?
    I wonder if you have ever flown a plane before?

• Нет, они употребляются одинаково"I was wondering" suggests past tense which is correct as well since a thought is normally formed before it is spoken. (это из словаря).это разговорные фразы, взаимозаменяемые. После них, любое время, какое вам нужно.

• Тогда я не совсем понял один вопрос в тесте.
    Надо было переделать вопрос с использованием этого выражения.
    1. Have you ever flown a plane before?

I was wondering if you have ever flown a plane before
    Такой ответ был был неправильным

you'd ever flown - correct

• Let’s move on now to ‘I was wondering’. As it uses the past continuous tense, it implies that you started thinking about a subject before the time of speaking. You state that the ‘wondering’ started in the past. Again a few examples:

I was wondering where you had put my sunglasses.
    I thought I’d call you because I was wondering where you are at the moment.
    I was wondering if we should go and visit Paula this weekend.

Of course, ‘I was wondering’ can be placed entirely in the past and referred to as an action you did yesterday, last week, last month. An example is:

Yesterday, I was wondering if we can afford to go to Thailand in May.
    I was wondering last night whether you really love me.

As a general rule of thumb, if you are not sure which one to use, then say ‘I was wondering’. The reason is this: if a thought occurred to you (in your head) and then you immediately reported it to your friend, it was still ‘wondered’ in the past. That means saying 'I was wondering’ is always right!
    BBC.coUK.

• thanks