Упражнения

• Express indignation as in the model.

1.The boy damaged the cherry-tree.2.The wife arranged a party against her husband's will.3.They told me a lie.4.You kept it secret from me.5.He stole Peter's book.6.She talked back to her mother.

Use be to, have to or dare in the correct form.

1.Adams...to speak first.2.Peter...to work at his lecture day and night.3.They...to give a lecture in three days.4.His mind was so upset that he...to repeat word for word the lecture that Adams had read so well.5.The hotel was so full that they ...to put many of the candidates two in a room.6.Peter ...to share the room with another person.7. The committee...to make their final choice after each candidate had given a public lecture.8.Where ...they to have the lecture?.9.The child was so frightened that he...not move.10.How ...you shout at the boy?

Complete the sentences using may.

1.I don't know Henry's new address but Nick....2. Ring up Mry after 6 o'clock.She ... at home then.3.Ask Nick for money.He...lend you.4.Imust stay in.My friend... .5.I can't tell Jack about it.He... his wife.6.I haven't got that book at home.But ou ... at the library.

Change the sentences as in the model.

1.One should be honest.2. One should not speak loud.3.If one wants a thing done well,one has best do it oneself.4.One should not break one's promise.5.One should not stare at other people.6.One cannot always find time for letter writing.

Insert one or ones.

1.Do you want to buy a new car or a second-hand...?2.Would you like red roses or white...?3.Our new house is much better than the old ...4.Those woollen jumpers are more expensive that these...5. There are three blackhatsand one green..,Oh I'll take the green... .

Form alternative questions as in the model.
    1.Camford is a small town.(large)2.He has passed his examination.(failed). 3 Peter worked at his lecture day and night.(spend the time in the bar) .4. Adams was a self-confident fellow.(shy) 5. He gave his lecture in a low voice.(loud)6.He likes poetry.(prose)

Use the verbs in brackets in the correct tense form (the Past indefinite, the Past Continuous or the Past Perfect)

1. After the committee (the interview) all the candidates their number was reduced to two.2.When i(to go )to the bar i (to see) Mr. Adams who (to talk) to some men around him. 3. We (to be surprised) to hear that the other man (to be chosen) for that post . 4. Peter's speech was dull and boring as he (to repeat) word for word what Adams (to read) already.5. When Peter (to look for) his papers, he (to discover) that they (to disappear).6.The committee (to decide) to make their final choice after each candidate (to give ) a public lecture.7.When we (to enter) the lecture-hall, we (to see) the professors(to take ) their seats on the platform. 8. All the people (to applaud) when Mr. Adams (to finish ) his speech.