should

• I was surprised that she should say such rude words.
    Почему здесь should а не would?

• The use of the word should in contexts that indicate surprise or disbelief(Удивление, неверие ), or that refer to the occurrence (or possible occurrence)(возможное) of some situation or event. [...]
    As noted by Randolph Quirk et al., putative (предполагаеммое) should (also called "emotional should") occurs in that clauses "after expressions of emotion (sorrow, joy, displeasure, surprise, wonder, etc.), and is often accompanied by intensifying expressions such as so, such, like this/that, ever, or at all" (A Comprehensive Grammar, 1985).
    In addition, putative should (also called "attitudinal should") "occurs in subordinate clauses as an alternative to the subjunctive after expressions of suggesting, advising, etc.: They insisted that I (should) stay the whole week" (Oxford Dctionary of English Grammar, 1994).
    Putative should is more common in British English than in American English

• Эмоционально -предполагаемое should употребляется в придаточных после that, если в главном предложении звучит сожаление, удивление, радость, недовольство, неверие,
    что-то происходит непривычным для нас образом.
    it’s interesting (интересно), it’s strange (странно), it’s funny (смешно), it’s natural (естественно), it’s typical (типично).

It’s interesting that you should compete in this race with Bert. – Интересно/удивительно , что ты (должен соревноваться) соревнуешься в этой гонке с Бертом.

• Этот пункт употребления глагола SHOULD очень хорошо и наглядно изложен в грамматике Качаловой и Израилевич на стр. 212-213, параграф 128.
    Только надо понимать, что наряду с SHOULD с инфинитивом в таких придаточных предложениях употребляются также и времена изъявительного наклонения.
    I am surprised that he should not realize his mistake=I am surprised that he does not realize his mistake.---Я удивлен, что он не понимает своей ошибки.
    Точно также и с предложениями, которые начинаются с It is surprising/important/nec essary/desiorable/better/impossible/omprobable/...
    It is surprising that he should think so=It is surprising that he thinks so---Удивительно, что он так думает.

Почитайте про глагол SHOULD на стр. 208-216 этой грамматики. Там вы найдете очень много интересного для себя.

• Огромное спасибо за такие полные ответы!