Косвенная речь

• Exercise 2. Complete the sentences. Use sequance of tenses rule.

… that his nephew didn’t go to school yet as he is too small.
    … that his father had been fond of parachuting and car-racing before …
    His cousin … that collecting badges … for years until …
    I found out yesterday that … until…
    … her mother-in-law had never been interested in such a strange thing as embroidering, it must be a mistake.
    … that his grandson … at that moment.
    She was sure that her father … until he married.
    My grandfather … that playing the piano … for all his life.
    My uncle … that his ancestors …
    … that his parents …
    Exercise 3. Open the brackets. Remember that if you speak about the action which was a future one in the moment of speech (that is, in the past) you should use the Future in the Past Tense.

Did you ask Mike to take the camera to the party? – Yes, he told me that he (to come) and (to take) a lot of pictures.
    Did you persuade your cousin in the necessity of sports? – Yes, but she promised that she (to go in for) sports) only since that summer.
    What did you tell your little niece? – Nothing special – I only (to tell) her that I (to travel) all the summer and that it (to be) a lot of fun and now she wants to go with me.
    Did you invite Mary to the basketball game in which you (to take part) the next week? – Yes, I did, but it turned out that she (to watch) the horseracing competitions at that moment.
    Has your mother already finished sewing the dress for the baby? – No, but she said she (to finish) it in a couple of days.
    Exercise 4. Complete the sentences. If you have any difficulties refer to exercise 3.

I hoped that my brother … in a week.
    … that my niece and nephew would go hiking the next day and there would be quiet at home.
    I told you that his mother- in-law … . Well, I was wrong.
    Did he tell you that his parents … the next year? Don’t believe it.
    Did you really think that your cousin … in a month?
    Did she really believe that her daughter … in two weeks?
    I didn’t want to think that … after a while. I am greatly disappointed with your intentions.
    I didn’t know that your grandfather … in summer. – I didn’t know myself!

• Exercise 3. Open the brackets. Remember that if you speak about the action which was a future one in the moment of speech (that is, in the past) you should use the Future in the Past Tense.

Did you ask Mike to take the camera to the party? – Yes, he told me that he (would come) and ( take) a lot of pictures.
    Did you persuade your cousin in the necessity of sports? – Yes, but she promised that she (would go in for) sports) only since that summer.
    What did you tell your little niece? – Nothing special – I only (told her that I (would travel all the summer and that it would be) a lot of fun and now she wants to go with me.
    Did you invite Mary to the basketball game in which you would take part) the next week? – Yes, I did, but it turned out that she would be watching the horseracing competitions at that moment.
    Has your mother already finished sewing the dress for the baby? – No, but she said she would finish) it in a couple of days.