Test

• Could you do me a favor and check my test paper?

A Put the verbs in brackets in the correct form to express future events.

0 Don’t help me, Daddy. I ___will do_____ (do) it myself!
    1 By the year 2020, scientists will have found (find) a cure for AIDS.
    2 Don’t be late! The train leaves (leave) at eight sharp.
    3 The boat is half filled with water. It is going to sink (sink) in a minute!
    4 You’ll be given a new credit card only after you fill out (fill out) this application form.
    5 Thanks a lot for the loan. I will pay (pay) you back next month.
    6 World War III will break (break out) in the near future. But it’s not very likely, I think.
    7 We’re late. The play will have started (start) by the time we get to the theatre.
    8 You’ll recognise him when you see him. I’m sure he will be wearing (wear) a bright shirt.
    C Complete the idioms with one appropriate word. Then explain in English the meaning of each idiom.
    0 My in-laws have travelled to the four ____corners____ of the globe.
    My in-laws have been all over the world._________________

1 The research into the life of this writer is still in its infancy.

The research into the life of this writer is still in an embryonic stage.
    The research into the life of this writer is still in its early stage.

2 That job was a stepping stone in my career.

That job helped me to make progress in my career.
    That job was a springboard my career.

3 The sky’s the limit to what you can achieve in this field.

You can achieve anything you want in this field.
    You can succeed greatly in this field.
    You can achieve a great success in this field.

4 Five years of working away from home have certainly left their stamp on her.
    Five years of working away from home have certainly affected her deeply.
    Five years of working away from home have certainly changed her greatly .
    Five years of working away from home have certainly had an influence on her.

D Complete the text below with one word (a verb or a particle) in each gap.

My boyfriend and I get (0) __on__ fine. Well, most of the time! Yesterday we had a terrible fight. He accused me (1) __of_ giving (2) __ away __his secret. I remember he’d asked me not to tell anybody about his trip but what I told his dad had to (3) __ come up ???(help)_ with his plans, and not the actual journey. Peter couldn’t make (4) of_ what I was trying to explain and
    (5) ___went_\ came__ out in the middle of our heated discussion. I felt terrible and decided to make (6) __ amends __for what I had done by buying him a CD of his favourite band. He didn’t have it yet as it had (7) ______come_________ out only a week before. Peter accepted my apologies and I learned my lesson. Next time my lips will be sealed!

• That job was a springboard my career.---Что-то пропущено?

D Complete the text below with one word (a verb or a particle) in each gap.

My boyfriend and I get (0) __on__ fine. Well, most of the time! Yesterday we had a terrible fight. He accused me (1) __of_ giving (2) __ away __his secret. I remember he’d asked me not to tell anybody about his trip but what I told his dad had to (3) __ come up against his plans, and not the actual journey. Peter couldn’t make (4) out_ what I was trying to explain and
    (5) ___went_\ __ out in the middle of our heated discussion. I felt terrible and decided to make (6) __ amends __for what I had done by buying him a CD of his favourite brand. He didn’t have it yet as it had (7) ______come_________ out only a week before. Peter accepted my apologies and I learned my lesson. Next time my lips will be sealed!

• 1)

That job was a springboard my career.---Что-то пропущено?

Yes, there's

springboard in my career

I accidentally deleted the preposition.

2) Task D. I have to complete the text with one word only. In the sentence

I remember he’d asked me not to tell anybody about his trip but what I told his dad had to (3) ______________ WITH his plans, and not the actual journey.

Against

is not a suitable preposition. There should be some phrasal verb which must be combined with a preposition

WITH

. Nothing comes to my mind. Could you help me?

3) Are the rest of the tasks done correctly?

• Thanks for your time.

• Interfere with

• Oh my God!!! I blushed to the roots of my hair. I dipped in such wilds!!! I know this verb perfectly))))) Thanks Vera.

• Against

is not a suitable preposition. There should be some phrasal verb which must be combined with a preposition

---You get it wrong. You just look at the preposition only whereas you should have considered the phrasal verb with two prepositions, which is COME UP AGAINST.
    On the other hand, if that is the phrasal verb that you are looking for, why not say ...had to run against his plans? The preposition is the same but the verb changes in this case.

• I am grateful to you for your comments, but according to the task, I have to find a verb which is combined with the preposition WITH . Your sentence is OK, I've got it. But it's not suitable in my situation. I need a phrase Interfere with plans — расстраивать планы, мешать намеченным планам.

• OK, have your way.
    The thing is that the preposition WITH combines very well with COME UP and forms a separate phrasal verb COME UP WITH (with two prtepositions) whose meaning is equivalent to RUN AGAINST or CONTRARY TO.

But if the task is to use a phrasal verb with ONE preposition only, then to INTERFERE WITH is quite OK. No objection to the obvious.

Incidentally, there is the verb TO THWART which has the same meaning as the phrasal verb TO INTERFERE WITH. Do you know it? Have you ever used it either orally or in writing?
    True, it is not a phrasal verb and may not belong in this case.

• TO THWART. I've never used it. Thanks for enriching my vocabulary.