modifiers

• Подскажите с упражнением. необходимо было указать неправильные варианты. Но честно говоря не совсем улавливаю разницу

1. It's very cold /It's very freezing.
    2. It's really windy./It's incredibly windy.
    3. It's really boiling today/ It's incredibly boiling today.
    4. I was absolutely terrified/I was absolutely frightened.

• Тема gradable and ungradable adjectives. С ними употребляются разные наречия.
    Это надо читать. Напр very cold можно сказать, но не very freezing.причем с разными прилагательными- разные наречия. Наберите, почитайте.

• 1. It's very cold /It's very freezing.---Первое да, второе нет.
    2. It's really windy./It's incredibly windy.---Первое нет, второе да.
    3. It's really boiling today/ It's incredibly boiling today.---Первое нет, второе да.
    4. I was absolutely terrified/I was absolutely frightened.---Первое да, второе нет.

• Спасибо!

• Adjectives can be either gradable or non-gradable

Gradable

Gradable adjectives are adjectives like ‘cold’ ‘hot’ and ‘frightened’. You can be very cold or a bit cold. Gradable adjectives show that something can have different degrees.(прилагательные имеют разнын степени.холодно,немножко холодно,очень холодно)

Non-gradable

Non-gradable adjectives are adjectives like ‘married’ or ‘wooden’. You can’t be very married or a bit married. Non-gradable adjectives do not have different degrees.(нельзя быть немножко женатым,очень деревянным)

Adjectives like ‘terrifying’, ‘freezing’ ‘amazing’ are also non-gradable adjectives. They already contain the idea of ‘very’ in their definitions – ‘freezing’ means ‘very cold’ etc.
    (эти прилагательные уже включают в себя степень "очень")
    Using adverbs of degree

When we use adverbs of degree to modify adjectives we usually have to use different adverbs for gradable and non-gradable adjectives.

NOT I’m completely hot.
    NOT It was very fantastic!
    With gradable adjectives

It’s a bit cold in here. Shall I turn the fire on?
    He’s very interested in history. Why don’t you buy him a history book?
    This exercise is really difficult. I don’t know any of the answers.
    I’m extremely tired. I’m going to bed.
    The adverbs a bit, very, really, extremely and quite can all be used with gradable adjectives.

With non-gradable adjectives

It’s absolutely freezing in here. Shall I turn the fire on?
    He’s completely fascinated by history. Why don’t you buy him a history book?
    This exercise is absolutely impossible.
    That film is really terrifying. Don’t go and see it on your own.
    The adverbs absolutely and completely can be used with non-gradable adjectives.

Notice that really can be used with both gradable AND non-gradable adjectives.

NOTE: There are other adverbs of degree that we haven’t covered in this section. The ones included here are some of the most common.

• Так really употребляется со всеми видами прилагательных, т.е. любое предложение с really +прилагательные будет правильным.Инфа от Британского совета.

• 1. It's very cold +/. It's very freezing.-
    2. It's really windy.+/It's incredibly windy.-
    3. It's really boiling today+/ It's incredibly boiling today.+
    4. I was absolutely terrified+/I was absolutely frightened.-

Скрыть комментарии
  • Sorry, incredibly windy +

• Thanks again, exhaustive information!